Make a Difference - Join our Trustees
You Raise Me Up is a much needed Sussex based registered charity providing emotional support for families who lose their children aged 16-25.
Our sole purpose is to support families that have suffered the loss of an adult child .We provide compassion, support and simply to be able to say “we totally understand” rather than “we cannot imagine what you are going through!”
Our whole-family approach supports surviving family members and friends to work through the unimaginable grief and pain of losing a child. We support the whole family (and increasingly friends) not just the parents but grandparents, siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles and their peers. Our support is not limited to the cause of death or length of time of loss.
The emotional support we provide includes 24 hour mental health crisis helpline, bespoke immediate one-to-one specialist counselling, peer support groups for men, women and siblings, Drop in support centre in Polegate (that is a community hub for the town too) and respite activities for families such as days out and dinners.
What will you be doing?
As part of our growth from a small charity to a medium size charity, we are looking for more trustees to complement and strengthen our existing Board who have the skills to help shape our future development while ensuring the charity’s vision and aims are maintained.
Our Trustees will have these Qualities
- An understanding of, a commitment to, and an enthusiasm for You Raise Me Up, its purpose and its work
- Objectivity, fairness, independence of mind, integrity, wisdom, discretion and good judgement
- A commitment to act solely in the best interests of You Raise Me Up, and of the wider public, without regard to personal interest or benefit
- Strategic vision and the ability to focus on practical issues
- Readiness to take, and be accountable for decisions
- The necessary time to be an effective trustee
- A good team player
- Able to take on an ambassadorial role for You Raise Me Up
- No significant or potential conflicts of interest.
We are particularly interested to hear from candidates with experience or an understanding of charity governance and financial management.
The Trustee role is rewarding. Meetings every 6-8 weeks for 2/3 hours with each trustee having an area for interest/expertise. As part of this busy well-known charity our trustees enjoy the chance to socialise and network while making a positive difference to lives of bereaved families across Sussex, Kent, and Outer London.
Before you apply
We are seeking to recruit three experienced individuals to take up Trustee positions at the charity. We wish to see a mix of skills, experience and backgrounds on the Board. Specifically, we are looking for the qualities and experience mentioned above.
You can also check out our website- www.youraisemeup.co.uk