Matt Hancock has just announced the new Tiers over the Christmas period. While Rother and Hastings are going into Tier 3 at 1 minute past midnight on Saturday morning, Eastbourne, Lewes and Wealden will remain in Tier 2.
The latest Covid infections are 507 per 100,000 in Hastings, 339 in Rother, 167 in Wealden, 132 in Eastbourne, 110 in Lewes and 101 in Brighton & Hove. To see these figures, which are updated daily, check here.
Make no mistake about it, the infection rate is rising fast across the south east and you should prepare yourself for new restrictions in the New Year. There is a new strain of the virus that is spreading fast and so we recommend that you rethink your Christmas plans.
After months of lockdowns and restrictions, why risk the health of vulnerable members of your family?
We have attached the latest Public Health England report below. This gives statistics including where people have been before infection (see sages 17 and 18). The majority of infected people have visited schools or supermarkets, so please be wary if you have to visit these locations.
- Stay at home.
- Work from home if you can.
- Wear a mask whenever you go out.
- Stay 2 metres away from other people.
- Wash your hands frequently.
- Sanitise your hands frequently.
- Avoid supermarkets.
- Challenge your supermarket to clean baskets, trolleys, payment keypads and touchscreens between customers. They can afford it.
- Rethink your Christmas plans.
As a Chamber we have lobbied hard to keep non-essential independent shops open during lockdown as these tend to protect their customers rigorously. Please support your local high street and shop local! However, make sure you protect yourself whenever you are out. This new strain of the virus is spreading fast so please take care.
We have already lost one valued member to this virus after a hard fight. He was fit, relatively young and healthy, yet he succumbed. Please protect yourselves.
We may be tired of the virus but the virus is not tired of us!
Financial support is available forbusinesses in Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3:
- financial support for closed businesses as a result of tiering restrictions
- financial support packages for businesses
- claim for employee wages through Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme
- check if you can claim a grant through the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme
Christmas Support Payment for wet-ledpubs: New Guidance has been issued that sets out support for wet-led pubs that have been severely impacted over the Christmas period due to temporary local restrictions. Eligible businesses may be entitled to a one-off cash grant of £1,000 from theirlocal council in areas under Tier 2 or Tier 3 local restrictions. Your pub may be eligible if you:
- are based in England
- derive less than 50% of your sales from food
- are in an area subject to Tier 2 or Tier 3 local restrictions since 2 December 2020
- were established in the pub before 1 December 2020