About: The Royal Eastbourne Golf Club
Name: David Lockyer
Category: Golf Clubs
The Eastbourne Ladies’ Golf Club was founded in 1888. The original 6-hole course was on land to the right of the current 17th hole and, in 1889, the Duke had a small pavilion built as a clubhouse.
On 9 December 1893, Princess Louise, Duchess of Fife, became the club patron and restyled it as The Royal Eastbourne Ladies’ Golf Club making it the first ladies club to be granted royal status. The ladies club was the first in Sussex and one of the first ten in England and they were founding members of the LGU.